Optical Communications Engineer
Space Micro is looking for an optical communications engineer to support multiple laser communications efforts. This technical expert will support both modem and free space optics technology development.
- Coordinate with hardware, software and FPGA/DSP design teams to assist in overall development of optical systems, specifying, selecting and qualifying active and passive optical components, developing and benchmarking system performance models, developing and implementing test procedures and/or evaluating and selecting appropriate test instrumentation.
- Coordinate and review modeling, simulation, and analysis of optical communication technologies, techniques, and operational concepts
- Optical engineering and design validation of an inter-satellite laser communication system, focusing on fiber-optic communication technologies
- Develop technical documentation including requirements, interface control, verification, and operation concept documents
- Support the development, coordination, and presentation for optical system design reviews (e.g. SRR, PDR, CDR, ORR, etc.)
- BS in Physics or Engineering with 10 years of experience or Ph.D. with 3 years of experience
- Deep Understanding of telecommunication systems principals and applications
- Direct working knowledge or demonstrated capacity to research and design optical communication systems that include the following
- Optimize EDFA for fiber optic communications
- Fiber-optic polarization filterization and control
- Fiber-optic optical wavelength filtering
- MZM principals, modulation techniques, phase bias control design
- APD/PIN specification and characterization
- DLI for DPSK demodulation
- DFB laser specification and characterization
- Hands-on experience with high-speed optical and electrical test equipment
- Experience in the satellite industry highly desirable
Please submit resumes in PDF format via email to: HR@spacemicro.com
All candidates must be U.S. Citizens or Permanent U.S. Residents. Space Micro is an equal opportunity employer.